The Formal Gardens were constructed in 1931 by George F. and Stella Elkins Tyler to provide a formal landscape setting for their estate, Indian Council Rock. The four-tier Formal Gardens were influenced by French and Italian gardens and feature varieties of flora, beautiful lush lawns, dramatic stone walls and staircases, gravel walks, fountains, and bronze sculptures.

Tyler Gardens are reminiscent of a golden age of elegance with fairy tale charm.